So, a couple of weeks ago I did a post titled Top Most Awesome Quotes Part 1, where I shared some of my favorite quotes from some of my favorite books. Some are funny, some are inspiring, some are wise, some are downright gorgeous. And some I simply had to write down, for some compelling reason that I can’t quite explain. I have quite a lot of them piled up, so without further ado, here’s the next 10.
- “At the enchanted metropolitan twilight I felt a haunting loneliness sometimes, and felt it in others – poor young clerks who loitered in front of windows waiting until it was time for a solitary restaurant dinner – young clerks in the dusk, wasting the most poignant moments of night and life.” –The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald
- “We are as indestructible as we believe ourselves to be. When adults say, ‘Teenagers think they are invincible’ with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail. So I know she forgives me, just as I forgive her. Thomas Edison’s last words were: ‘It’s very beautiful over there.’ I don’t know where there is, but I believe it’s somewhere, and I hope it’s beautiful.” – Looking for Alaska, Green
- “Arthur shook his head and sat down. He looked up.’I thought you must be dead…’ he said simply.
‘So did I for a while,’ said Ford, ‘and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. I kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic.'” – Life, the Universe and Everything, Adams
- “‘There are all kinds of courage. It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Rowling
- “Enjoying living was learning to get your money’s worth and knowing when you had it.” – The Sun Also Rises, Hemingway
- “‘I have not broken your heart–you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine. So much the worse for me, that I am strong. Do I want to live? What kind of living will it be when you–oh, God! Would you like to live with your soul in the grave?” – Wuthering Heights, Bronte
- “‘Hello.’ Stronger now. ‘Hello! Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to Die!”No—,’
‘Offer me money—,’
‘Everything,’ the Count said.
‘Power too. Promise me that.’
‘All I have and more. Please.’
‘Offer me anything I ask for.’
‘Yes. Yes. Say it.’
‘I want Domingo Montoya, you son of a bitch,’ and the six-fingered sword flashed again.” – The Princess Bride, Goldman
- “Thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real.” – The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, Hodkin
- “The mistake ninety-nine percent of humanity made, as far as Fats could see, was being ashamed of what they were; lying about it, trying to be someone else. Honesty was Fats’ currency, his weapon and defense. It frightened people when you were honest; it shocked them. … Fats was attracted by rawness, by everything that was ugly but honest, by the dirty things about which the likes of his father felt humiliated and disgusted.” – The Casual Vacancy, Rowling
And finally, for the tenth quote, I’m featuring one that a visitor left by. All of the quotes that people commented were beautiful, and I had a hard time picking which one to choose, but I loved the way this quote made me feel when reading it, just as I love the way it says to never give up, and to always keep on going, no matter what. So thank you, Nobody, for sharing this quote with me!
- “When the moment comes to stop running from your past, to turn around and face the thing you thought you could not face–the moment when your life teeters between giving up and getting up–when that moment comes, and it always comes, if you can’t get up and you can’t give up either, here’s what you do: Crawl.” – Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
So, do you have any quotes that you absolutely adore? Any that have that magical power to wow you, shock you, get to you? If so, share them in the comments! As a bit of a quote-collector, I love hearing great new quotes, and I know you guys all have a couple tucked away.